Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

School Happenings

One cool thing that happened this week is that Bere and I have started working out consequences for our class so that they can take ownership of their own behavior (yes mom and Keith, they are consequences, not punishment...), but many of the other classes are struggling to the point where they aren't able to really teach class because the kids are so crazy. When I was teaching English yesterday the fifth grade kids were throwing rocks in the classroom...yeah. So we are going to share our consequences with the other teachers and start meeting monthly to put together school wide behavior expectations and consequences. I think it will help the kids to take ownership of their own education and behavior, and give them a sense of pride as well. This is exactly what my class at Western taught about about two weeks before I came down, so it is cool that I can use it now to truly help the school become more efficient.

2 comments:

  1. … and I’m sure that you’ll do better than we did at explaining to them that these are consequences and not punishment! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...I'm still a little confused myself, I need someone to explain them to me before I can explain them to the kids ;).

    ReplyDelete