Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"Americana" got the sleepy eye



Beuller...Beuller...Anyone...Anyone.
All the hard work aside, I'm learning so much about teaching and helping kids. It is so cool to have a program in Gunnison that challenges me to challenge myself. My students will benefit from it.
We learned last week that our school is behind in the state and well...country. I knew we were behind, but I didn't know how behind. Our lack of scores and the students low ability in required knowledge reflects on the school and teachers. People think that the teachers are not capable and won't send their kids to school. The biggest issue right now is that the students don't know how to read. As a first grade teacher it is my responsibility, alongside Bere, to help these kids have a good start on reading. Something that is very difficult! Luckily I'm taking classes at Western that are teaching me the best ways to teach reading and prepare the kids. I'm hoping I will be able to share these techniques with other teachers as well. Today we as a class played Una por Una, where the kids stepped in a square every time I said a new word in a sentence. It was hard, because they always struggle at the end of the day...but they are learning.
The other big help, is learning behavior management at Western. It is very hard to stay consistent with disciplining and giving kids consequences, but as I learn better how to do this we will all benefit. This is such a huge learning experience!

And the Social Scene.

I got a Mexican phone this week, so now I can call all my Mexican friends...ok, well first I have to make Mexican friends ;). My friend Ramiro is helping me to fit in, he helped me buy the phone and is giving me advice on how best to learn about social life in Mexico. I have a Poder Joven card, which gets me discounts because I'm under the age of 28, a cell phone, and I'm learning and making friends with the other teachers in Nava.
I will be going to a concert with these friends later this month...the Camilas, apparently they are a very famous band. I can't wait. AND...

La Reunion
Tex and Marissa lead a small group called La Reunion, or The Gathering in English. We went to the house of Tono and Laura this last Friday and had some Mexican style hang out time. We played...brace yourselves...no really you need to be sitting down...we played "Ten thousand Mexicans say" which is Like a Mexican Family Feud. Oh I had so much fun, playing and eating...I hope you are still sitting...we had dinner at 11:30!! Oh yes I am becoming Mexican! The biggest blessing was just being able to socialize with people and make friends. Of course, being told that the first time I met the hosts that this house is yours, and to take care of myself was great! I was so welcomed and I can't wait to go back Tuesday (tonight) for dinner and a bible study.

In a nutshell that was my week. I hope everyone at home is doing well. Thanks for your support and prayers. What you all want to do and help with in Nava is an encouragement to me! Love
Katt (Gatita).

1 comment:

  1. For those of us Spanish-challenged, who or what is Poder Joven?

    ReplyDelete