Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Encouragement, and Saying Goodbye


McDonald's:
  Last week, our first week of school was a blast and crazy all at once.  It was great to be back at the school again, with my coworkers and the kids.  I was reminded all last week of how much I love my job.  On Thursday we got to take the students who had  high scores on the bimester test (state test given every two months) to McDonalds.  I realized again while we were there how lucky we are to get to be a part of the student's lives and show them love.  A man who works in one of the town hall buildings in Nava came with us so that we could use a government bus, and he was so touched by what God is doing through Zac and Kat and the teachers that he said that he and his office would back us up in anything we needed. His outside view provided a fresh understanding of the opportunity we have to simply be the love of Jesus and the way that he is using us. 
Gettin' some math done!

Family visit
 On Saturday Kat told me that the parents of two of my students had invited me over to their house for a party.  It was the father's birthday and they wanted to introduce me to their family.  The mother said that she wanted to introduce me to her family because they had seen such a great improvement in the character of their adopted daughter (actually their niece) Alicia and their son Yonathan.  What a blessing it was to know that God is using us to touch and change students' lives. 
 Things like this happen every day here.  It is really hard to teach at Nava School and study for my own school at Western at the same time.  Last week I remember being at the school thinking,"I 'm exhausted I can't keep doing so much stuff."  But almost everyday I receive encouragement and confirmation that Jesus is helping me grow as a teacher and showing students love through me and the other teachers.  When I recieve this encouragement, I am convinced to continue growing and letting God keep working in me.


Saying Goodbye
 Last week the teacher I work with, Bere, and the fourth grade teacher Sarai (to the right) both announced that they couldn't stay at Escuela de Nogal any longer.  They had other responsibilities with school and work.  It was sad for all of us at the school to see them go, but we trust that they are moving on to where they need to be, and that changes at Escuela de Nogal will be good in the long run.
Meanwhile I am experiencing some more responsibility in my classroom and I am learning how to do more planning ahead of time and continue to learn how to best meet the needs of the students.  This is a great growing area for me, but I'm learning a lot and I am enjoying what I'm learning and planning for the classroom.  Nevertheless, I could use your prayer in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment