Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

It finally feels like fall in Mexico

Hi again,
 I hope you have all had a good week.  I hear some areas of Colorado received snow this week, congrats :).  We started at about 90 degrees this week, but now it feels like fall.  So for the last few days I have made myself a cup of tea and sat in a very sunny living room to work on my homework.  It is the little things in life right?
Tomorrow is day of the dead, so we don't have school today (Monday) and Tuesday so I've been catching up on school work.  That is a good thing, because I have been behind for weeks now.  I'm caught up and have more time to get ahead now.
My pumpkin is the chili on the right, Tex's is the cross and Ramiro's is the Mac Apple.
This weekend has been awesome on Saturday night we had what they call a fogata, or a bonfire.  We went to the school to set up at noon and at six the kids arrived.  They bobbed for apples, tossed bean bags, shot basketballs.  Then we had races: potato sack races, and balloon pop races ( they ran to a chair and popped the balloon by sitting on it and ran back).  After that we ate hot dogs (salchichas) chips and cupcakes.  Ok, ok, the best part was the hay ride, we drove around the whole town, looking at stars, and singing the whole way, and when we got back Chris and one of the men that helps at the school jumped out and sprayed us with silly string.  It was a ton of fun.
Finally we roasted marshmallows (bombones) over the fire, sat, laughed an threw light up sticks into the sky (y'know those sticks that shine colors when you break the capsule inside).  It looked like it was raining colors, very beautiful.  One of the women that works at the school told me that this festival was the best thing that had ever happened for the school.  I laughed a lot with the other teachers as well, it was awesome!  I'm so glad that I get to be apart of what is happening at the school.

Yesterday, we went to the orphanage, House of Peace, and had carne asada (barbecue mexican style).  I got to play soccer, got my hair braided, laughed a ton and ate amazing food!  It was a blessing.
Tonight, Monday night, Tex, Ramiro and I carved each a pumpkin. It was a great time to just hang out and be with friends.  I'm grateful for the break.


-

No comments:

Post a Comment