Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Meaning of Adventure

Ok, I need to apologize for not writing for so long.  I have been very busy but I realized today that I have a responsibility to update you on what is going on in my life.  From now on I will update every week.  (you can keep me accountable :)).
Mexican Opera
 So we left off before Independence Day here in Mexico and I must say that since that time I have realized, more than once, how blessed I am to be hear.  We spent the 15th with the orphanage, House of Peace, and got to see fireworks, laugh, eat ice cream, run around, dance, try on sombreros and Mexican Mustaches, listen to Mexican Opera and our friend Isai talk like Donald Duck (Pato Donald), and, yes, this is very Mexican, eat dinner at about 12 o' clock in the morning.
 I am so thankful for the family that I have here with Tex and Marissa and House of Peace and I can't wait to hang out again.
Tex wearing a sombrero and Mexican (fake) mustache.
 Since the Independence day House of Peace came over to Tex and Marissa's house for dinner one night, where I got to play soccer with two young boys, hold little two year olds, and laugh and eat with the house mother and father.  I also visited the orphanage for an afternoon of playing soccer with the boys.  I know I already said this, but it is quite a blessing!!!


SCHOOL

Escuela de Nogal is has been good, but difficult.  I have spent many a night planning lessons and doing homework up until six hours before I have to get up and do it all over again.  But every week (at least), I find it is worth it.  I know that I am in a unique situation, but as a teacher what an honor and blessing it is to love kids no matter how hard it is and to be a constant source of care for them.  To all of my teacher friends out there, you are doing the right thing, and encouragement will come.  Hold on to your purpose and thanks for doing what you are doing.
 We found out last week that our school is the second from lowest in the state.  This was rough to hear because as a teacher it is my job to help my students improve, and upon hearing this news I was at a loss.  How do I help these kids improve?  As a teacher am I not doing my job?  But my friend Chris and others have encouraged me since, that we are doing the right thing and that we aren't going to see change over night.  We just need to keep doing what we are doing.
 The other day because it has been raining a lot here we didn't have bible class (it is usually outside).  So it was the teacher's job to give bible class.  It was kind of a spur of the moment event, but I ended up giving my testimony... to first graders and sharing with them Ephesians 3:18, which says "How long, wide, high and deep is the love of Christ."  It was one of those things where I didn't know what the response was, but what a joy it was to share with those students how much we are loved by Jesus and how he has changed my life so that I can be where I am today.  It was quite a blessing.

Right now I would ask for prayer in getting everything I need to done, and in getting enough rest.  Thanks for being interested in what is going on in my life and I pray that you have an amazing, awesome, super, blow your mind week!

Love
Katt

2 comments:

  1. katt, you are doing awesome work. i wish i could be there alongside you serving the Lord.

    Jesus' love is truly deep and I'm sure those children were blessed by your testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Peter, I appreciate it. Some days are hard but many days I am encouraged...

    ReplyDelete